Real estate has long been considered a solid investment for many reasons. It is a relatively safe and easy way for people to build wealth beginning with a small amount of money. If you are
Thinking of building. home?
Dated: May 31 2021
Building a home on a lot of your choosing might sound like something reserved for the rich and famous, but the truth is, it might be easier than you think to get a construction loan.
What is a construction loan?
Construction loans are short-term, higher-interest-rate mortgages that cover the cost of building or renovating a home. The buyer qualifies for the final mortgage and the lender pays the contractor for cost on a pre-approved schedule. Once the construction is complete, the loan is converted into a traditional home loan.
Type of Construction Loans
- Construction to Permanent – Converts to a permanent loan with the interest rate locked in at closing.
- Construction Only – Must be paid off when construction is complete, so the borrower will then need to get new financing.
- Renovation Construction Loan – Cost of renovations are included in the original mortgage based on the value of the home after the repairs or upgrades. Best used for buying a fixer-upper property.
What’s included in the loan?
The construction loan generally pays for:
- Labor and materials
- Plans, permits, and fees
- Contingency reserves to allow for changes and delays
Can I qualify?
All mortgages have minimum qualifications for approval. Construction loans are riskier for the lender because there is no existing collateral in the form of the home. Along with typical requirements for debt-to-income limits and FICO score minimums, the lender will often ask for a higher down payment (30% is typical) and a plan to pay off the loan at the end of the project (proof of cash or loan). Building from scratch offers many benefits to the homeowner. The blank slate is appealing. By taking advantage of a construction loan, even the average consumer can build their dream home.
What to consider durnig the pandmic:
- Cost of materials is higher
- Shortage in labour workers which could mean overall cost to buikd a home is increased and could take up to a year to complete
- may be harder to find a lender who is doing construction lons due to it being higher risk
Born and raised in beautiful Tucson. I joined the Navy when I was 18, served our country for 6 years before deciding to come home to Tucson. I've always loved our moderate weather, sunsets, surround....
Latest Blog Posts
I love working with first-time home buyers. Helping you find your first home, learn the home buying process, and guiding you from house-hunting to move-in day gives me the warm fuzzies. Here are
We all want people to love our home as much as we do, but especially when you are trying to sell it! While it’s impossible to please every buyers’ taste, there are several easy things
Luxury homes are generally described as those in the top 10% of their market. Luxury homes are usually located in the most optimal areas in a market, are large in size, and built with high-end
|Address:||16165 N. 83rd Ave., #200
Peoria, AZ 85382